Here’s why I’m trying Bear. In a few months, my Bear and Ulysses subscriptions will be up for renewal. I’m wondering if I really need both? Bear has been my Evernote replacement since its inception so for that reason I know I will be renewing that subscription. What I’m wondering is if it can also be my writing app to replace Ulysses?
Here’s what sets Ulysses apart for me. So how does Bear compare?
- Identical features across Mac and iOS. (Yes)
- The unified library. I don’t like managing individual files. (Yes)
- Clean distraction free writing environment. (Yes)
- Selecting my font of choice. (No — Bear has fewer choices)
- Publishing to WordPress and Medium. (No — with Bear I have to copy as html and paste)
- It’s just dead simple to use. (Yes)
Now, I need to convince myself that Bear can replace Ulysses. I know a lot of folks are using it for short-form writing as well as notes and here are a couple of examples.
The Best Writing Tool For Bloggers And Authors — Jeff Goins
For short-form writing: Bear. I use this to write all my email newsletters, blog posts, articles, and any short-form writing I do. I also use it to capture ideas throughout the day that I come back to later. It has effectively replaced MS Word and most of Evernote (which I used to use for note-taking) for me. Currently, this is only available for Mac and iOS.
Besides your phone, what apps, gadgets, or tools can’t you live without? I heavily rely on Bear: I use it for all my writing, list-making, to-do list management, everything. Please never go away, Bear.”